The most sustainable venue the world has ever seen is opening in 2021.
Existing at the nexus of music, entertainment, sustainability, and the built environment, this project and our team were a perfect match.
The brand was entirely new, taking on the name of a movement and commitment, rather than a large cooperate sponsor. In revealing their brand to the world, they trusted our team with the first steps of sharing a vision of a location that did not yet exist. We delivered a site with a clear stylistic connection to environment and sustainability, came up with a system that was easy to manage and update, and launched their microsite in the span of two just two days.
In partnership with Amazon.com, Oak View Group & NHLSeattle, the venue will be the first zero-carbon arena in the world. So what does that entail?
Some major breakthroughs for sports and entertainment venues:
- The first arena to ban single-use plastics and commit to functional zero waste.
- The first arena to fully offset the carbon emissions of all events and related transportation by fans, sports teams, and entertainers, achieving carbon-neutral operations and use.
- The lowest embodied carbon arena in the world; saving the landmark roof and the new arena’s subterranean footprint significantly reduces façade materials needed and the associated greenhouse gas emissions.
- The greenest ice in the world using rainwater, refrigerants with zero greenhouse gas emissions and electric Zambonis.
- The largest coordinated effort of fan engagement with climate issues of any NHL team.
Climate Pledge Arena positively disrupts the industry by changing the expectations for what a venue does and can do. Actions such as only sourcing local products, expanding access to mass transit, saying no to single-use plastics, and saying yes to give-back programs that benefit the community, can and should be taken on by other venues around the world. The existence of Climate Pledge Arena challenges them to do so.
Explore their new website for yourself: